Published 08 Jun 2011
It’s been two weeks since I began coding for GSoC, and it’s time to share some of the progress we’ve made. For the anxious: the courier object, as described in the last post, is already crawling on its own. I have implemented and briefly tested both methods described in the wiki, as well as a few other features to ipc.c and GenIPC.
My first attempt at implementing the courier object was to expose some data structures from ipc.c to courier.c and let the latter manipulate them at will. After discussing this design with the community, we settled for hiding these data structures and only exposing through new functions the bare minimum necessary for the courier to operate.
That is how this commit came to be. Since some of the new functions are mere copies of code that already existed elsewhere in the same file, they could be used instead of that code. I should add “cleaning up ipc.c” to my TODO list.
At that point I was planning on not making the courier a xmms_object_t, and have it special-cased for commands and replies in ipc.c (just like the SIGNAL object). This works for the two methods described in the wiki, but would complicate things for the other methods we have in mind. So after discussing the issue with nesciens, we decided to adapt GenIPC to our needs.
This means making it possible to specify that the server should not automatically send replies to clients that call a server object’s method, and that it instead should leave that responsibility to the method itself.
This set of changes was made in a separate branch of my repository, which has now been merged into master. This is the most relevant commit, describing the changes. The other commits are fixes and cleanups both to new and old code.
With that issue out of the way, I integrated the courier object to GenIPC with these two commits. It should now be fairly easy to implement the remaining methods we have in mind. So far, we are planning on implementing a method that returns a list of ids of connected clients, and a method for clients to consult their own id.
Today I made a small breakthrough by writing a very silly but functional service client. In order to do that, I had to hack support for the courier object in libxmmsclient and main.c. I didn’t commit such ugly code, but it helped me test what I already had and, after a few hours of debugging, I had sumservice, the client that accepts messages containing a list of two integers from other clients, sums them and returns the result, and sumclient, the client that takes two integers from the command line and sends them for summation :)
Next steps: Aside from the remaining methods for the courier, I’m still unsure how to integrate this new object in main.c (i.e., its initialization and destruction). Also, the code written so far still needs revision and testing, as I may (as in, probably) have screwed up refcounting and other tricky parts.
See you soon!
Toggle Comments Next Previous